Here are some reasons why I'm doing this.
1) There's serious history of alcoholism in my family on both sides. All the uncles on my mom's side have succumbed and passed on. It scares me.
2) My father is a drinker. I really don't want to be anything like him. Not to bash him, but he lives in a crappy apartment in the ghetto with his new family. I am certain he would be living better if he didn't use so much cash on beer and cigarettes. Don't get me wrong, he's not a big douche or anything. He's just kinda dumb.
3) I have done so much stupid shit while drunk, not all of them fun. The other night I hung out with people I had no business hanging out with (you know, gangster types). I don't want to be like them. It was stupid.
4) For whatever reasons, genetic or psychological, I just get so depressed after a night of drinking. It's very painful. I have this deep pain in my chest. It feels like my soul is aching. I don't know how to explain it.
5) I have a dream of completing the Ironman Triathlon someday. I can't really get in shape for it if I'm hungover all the time.
Now, of course there are a shit-ton of strategies and ways to go about changing yourself. I've quit on my own before but I want to try some of these other ways.
One of my biggest strategies is to not think about drinking. I also focus on not focusing on not drinking (haha). Because if you focus on not doing something, you're still focusing on it, using up your energy. So, when I start thinking like that I will probably call a friend or something, maybe even exercise. I will also have a therapist to speak too, should be nice.
Lot of what this guy says makes sense to me. I'm probably going to make small changes at first to get the ball rolling and get confidence.
Here's a couple things I thought of:
- I will probably delete crappy photos I have on FaceBook. I should try to look my best, even on the internet.
- I'm going to write more goals and stuff that I want to do.
- I will stop thinking about the girl I love. I'm not angry at her or anything, just angry at the circumstances. It hurts and it doesn't make me feel confident at all when I think of her. I will start thinking of the girls available, get to know them more.